Monday, October 24, 2011

Internship - Week 1 (17/10/11 - 23/10/11)

Company: Resorts World Sentosa Pte Ltd (RWS)
Posted To: USS Attraction Operations - TRANSFORMERS The Ride



When I knew I would be posted to USS, I was excited about it because I have never been there. Although my first time there was going to be for work, I was nonetheless happy about it. I thought it would be good exposure to work in a theme park that is so well received by the public.

17 October 2011
Corporate Induction (Day 1) - This programme included many other newcomers from the various departments and there were almost 100 people. The HR trainers went through topics such as corporate overview, work safety and security awareness. Many group activities were conducted too, allowing me to know some of the other team members. I felt awkward since it was the first time I am in a programme without any close friends, but instead with many people whom were considered strangers to me. As a result, I was not participative in many of the activities.

18 October 2011
Corporate Induction (Day 2) - It was a continuation of the previous day. The HR trainer went through the importance of service and communication, with more group activities conducted. These activities stressed on the importance of teamwork and co-operation among the team members. Towards the end of the programme, everyone played a game called Natural Disaster. Although everyone were still split into the various groups, this activity required all the groups to co-operate well in order to succeed. Through this, I saw many people take up leadership roles and leading everyone in their best possible way. I also received my Photo ID Badge and Nametag, making me feel more like a part of the RWS family.

19 October 2011
Park Operations Training - All of us under Attraction Operations (AO) went through this programme together. There were 20 of us. The trainers taught us on general operating procedures. We were also given time to experience the rides at USS. It was my first time on a roller coaster. I made friends with my fellow team members and understood more about them through small conversations made. Due to the smaller size of group, I was able to interact more with them. Fittings were made for the uniform that I will be wearing when I start work at my department. I also went for a department briefing at AO - Transformers, which would be the place I will be working at for my Internship.

Transformers is a new ride that is opening in December 2011. At this point of time, everything that I will be learning are completely confidential because any information or detail should not be disclosed to the public before the ride is officially open. Photos and videos were also not allowed, for fear of me posting on social media websites or circulating among family and friends.

20 October 2011
Park Operations Training - It was a continuation of the previous day. The HR trainer taught us on work safety and I took a work assessment, whereby the trainer asked me questions on what was taught earlier. It was relatively easy because I could refer to the set of notes given. I will be receiving a certificate from RWS for this. Due to the excess of time between the training and the assessment, the trainer told us to go have fun at the park. Once again, I had fun with some of the team members and experienced some of the rides at USS.

21 October 2011 (LO Visit)
It was my first day of on-job training. I was given a stack of working instructions to read, and there will be a test on it in future. I was taken on a tour around the whole attraction and familiarised myself with the operations of the ride. The colleagues there were friendly and some of them taught me a lot on the things to do and not to do when I am working there. I am worried because there are many things to learn in a short period of time. Furthermore, any mistake made will lead to the compromising of guests' safety. Hence, I have to be very careful in the handling of the job equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment